Thursday, December 20, 2012

What will happen to the world on December 21, 2012?



No one knows if it’s truly the world’s end. Not even Nostradamus nor NASA as written in 1 Thessalonians 5:2-4 (NIV) “For you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.”

But it’s not about whether the world will end on a certain date.

I guess the more apt question would be: How have we lived our lives before 12-21-12 to make us ready for it - in case the world really ends?

The homily this morning on Day 6 of simbang gabi taught us the value of extra-ordinary service and loving presence to our loved ones, perhaps two inexpensive and essential gifts that most of us find difficult to give. We have a lot of things to accomplish when we are swamped with our (worldly) desires, – career success, money and fame – and unfortunately our family, friends and loved ones become the least of our priority. It happened to me. Or maybe, it is still my dilemma.

But thanks to Mary, Mother of God, who, when she was pregnant to Jesus Christ, was still able to visit Elizabeth, mother of St. John the Baptist, in her pregnancy.

Thanks to the late Department of Interior and Local Government, Jesse Robredo, who, in the midst of success and public service, was still a great father to his children and husband to his wife, Atty. Leni Robredo.

Thanks to the late Rodante "Bogs" Aquino, my father, who shared with me valuable lessons in life including the importance of generosity. He may not have been a wealthy man when he died, but his wealth lied on the quality of life he lived with a huge amount of friends and mourners that showed up in his death.

They have touched my life in so many ways and I thank them for reminding me of my capacity to provide these valuable gifts of service and presence to others.

I do not know either if the world will end today. But one thing is for sure, if we will live our lives to the fullest as in the examples of Mother Mary, Sec. Robredo and Mr. Bogs Aquino; and share our best selves to people, we will not be concerned if the world will end today, tomorrow or whenever. 

I am just curious. How have you lived your life before 12-21-12? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment